The Harry Potter tag

22:17:00 0 Comments A+ a-


I am currently sat watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban so I thought I would do the Harry Potter tag! I found the tag after watching Amy's video on her YouTube channel ShoutAme. So let's get on with the tag!


1.Favourite book - Prisoner of Azkaban. It was the first Harry Potter book I was introduced too. My year five teacher would read books to the class before the end of the school day and one of those was POA. I was completely hooked from then. I also love Deathly Hallows but I think POA will always be my favourite because it's how I met Harry. Plus we get to meet Remus and Sirius! 

2.Favourite movie - At risk of sounding repetitive I have to say POA again, closely followed by Goblet of Fire. I love the way Alfonso Cuaron directed POA, everything about it just feels and looks how I imagined the Wizarding World to be. I love GOF because of the Yule Ball scenes and the humour that was added. 



3.Least favourite book - I don't really dislike any of the books, they all make up an important component in Harry's story. However the one I reach to reread as much as the others is Chamber of Secrets. I don't know why as I remember really enjoying it when I first read it. It's not like I don't like the book, it's just I prefer some of the others more. 

4.Parts of the books/movies that made you cry - Oh god where to begin?! I'll split it down into the books and then the films. In the books there are two stand out moments that made me cry: Dumbledore's death and The Forest Again chapter in Deathly Hallows. Dumbledore's death was such a shock. I had managed to circumvent any spoilers and just did not expect it to happen at all! Harry's reaction and the way he felt guilty just added to the sadness. The Forest Again chapter in DH (which is chapter 34 for reference) is by far one of my favourite chapters in the whole series. Harry is so vulnerable and the way he interacts with his Mother, Father, Remus and Sirius is so tender that it pulls on my heartstrings every time. He has had to walk away from his friends with the knowledge that he has to sacrifice himself in order to kill Voldemort and he seeks reassurance from the four people who should have seen him grow up. The moment he asks James if they will stay with him and he replies 'Until the very end,' gets me every time because it's a reminder that James, Lily, Remus and Sirius have always and will always be with him. It's such a powerful chapter! 

As for moments in the films that have made me cry? Four spring to mind. Cedric's death, Sirius' death, Dobby's death and the very end of the DH part two. The way in which all three of those characters deaths were filmed and produced were perfect. Many people didn't like the way they handled Sirus' death but I thought it was done right. Daniel Radcliffe's acting was on point and the muted scream you see just after is so harrowing. Cedric's death and the moment when Harry brings his body back is just so upsetting. Everyone is there beginning to celebrate and then poor Amos Diggory sees his son's lifeless body. The way Harry won't let go of him always gets me. And then we have Dobby's death. Oh Dobby. I distinctly remember putting the book down in shock when I read his death. His death in the films was so heartbreaking. I went to watch DH part one in the cinemas twice and both times I was complete mess. I think what made it worse was the little cameo appearance he had put in earlier on in the film with his cool trainers and how he was so happy to once again be helping Harry. The scene where he is stood with his back to the audience and he's hunched over just hurts my heart so much. And then when he says 'what a beautiful place to be with friends' it just kills me. All Dobby wanted was to be free and to help and he ended up sacrificing himself. (I am tearing up just writing this!) A lot of people in the cinema did not understand why others were so upset when Dobby died and I think that's because unless you had read the books Dobby was a very, very minor character. Then we have the final scene of DH part two. I don't think it would have mattered what the final scene was, I would have been a mess anyway. What with the trio being in shot, watching the Hogwarts Express steam out of the station and the theme tune playing in the background, the ending just made me so emotional. It signalled the end of waiting for releases and in a way my childhood. There is a post on tumblr that mixes the theme from that scene and Stephen Fry reading the end of the book and when I listen to it and am always in floods of tears. 

5.If you could hook up with any HP character who would it be? Right, Well. Can I just say that my answer has been shaped by many, many years of fanfiction and non-canon imaginings. But it has to be Draco Malfoy. Now I know he is a pugnacious, arrogant git in the books and he is a horrible person but I am a firm believer in a somewhat reformed, post-Hogwarts Draco and it is HIM I would want to hook up with. Honestly, if they hadn't cast Tom Felton as Draco in the films I may not have been as obsessed with him as I was when I was thirteen (have you seen him in POA?!) Whilst some argue that his inability to kill Draco and the fact he was standing with all the good guys in DH means he is a coward, I always says those moments as an inner conflict coming to the surface. Anyway, I am not going to go into my thoughts on Draco Malfoy as that could be a whole other post. If I had to choose someone other than Draco then I would go for Sirius (give me a timeturner back to the marauders era and he is all mine!)

6.Favourite character - Hermione Granger. I know she is such a typical answer but Hermione represented so much for me when I was younger. She showed me it was OK to be smart and bookish and that you could be bad ass whilst being so. I saw a lot of myself in her and it was great to have a character to relate to.

7.What would your Patronus be? An Owl. Being a Ravenclaw and as Owls are my favourite animal I think it would be rather fitting if I had one as my patronus. 

8.If you could have the Resurrection Stone, Invisibility Cloak or the Elder Wand which one would you choose? As tempting as the Resurrection Stone would be, wouldn't we all like to see lost loved ones again? I would choose the Invisibility Cloak. It can't be denied that we would all love the chance to be invisible for a day. 

9.What House would you be in? I am Ravenclaw through and through. I have been sorted into Ravenclaw three separate times on Pottermore. 

10.If you could meet any member of the cast who would it be? Tricky one as there are so many!! I think it would either be Emma Watson or Maggie Smith. Both of them are great role models and Maggie Smith is an immensely talented actress.  

11.Have you played any of the video games? Yes I played quite a few of the PS1 and PS2 games. I was obsessed with the Quidditch World Cup game for a good while. I loved the POA PS2 game although it was damn hard! I had the DH part one game on XBOX for a while and that was difficult as well. 

12.If you were on the Quiddich team which position would you play? I wouldn't personally ever choose to play Quidditch as I am challenged in the sports department but if I had to play I would like to be a Beater. 

13.Were you happy with the ending? Yes I was. I know the epilogue was hugely unpopular with a lot of people but I thought it was a fitting end. It let us know that the Wizarding World rebuilt itself after Voldemort's defeat and that Harry and his friends went on to lead happy lives. I adored the last two sentences as I wanted Harry to finally have some peace. Plus as a reader and writer of fanfiction it was great to get so much information about the next generation. 

14.How much does Harry Potter mean to you? Everything. Harry Potter means everything to me. I can honestly say I do not think I would be the person I am today without it. It is hard for me to explain to people who haven't got that connection exactly what it is like but Harry Potter has been in my life since a very young age and it has shaped me in so many different ways. I won't go into too much detail but I did write a post titled A Letter to Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling in which I tried to articulate exactly how much it means to me, so give that a read if you want!